NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Star Discovery 150P

I'm not after it so much for imaging as for tracking ability (and for the extra light-gathering compared to a 130mm)

I retro-fitted an RA motor to my scope and have found the unit to be useless at tracking anything other than the moon, so a dedicated GOTO seems to be the logical option.

I have this scope and its a fabulous grab and go goto bit of kit. You wont be disappointed. Mine is actually for sale at the moment not for any other reason other then i have a new dob coming and i dont have room other wise i would be keeping it. I love the Discovery for its simplicity and fabulous performance.

I also have this scope and would not change it. I started with an equatorial mount and moved onto a goto. I find the goto makes viewing sessions much moor enjoyable, not that tracking down objects was not fun, it was the "am I viewing the right object or not" that took some of the fun away. Now i know exactly what i am viewing and if viewing is poor move right onto the next object.

I choose this scope because of the dual encoders (freedom find) so if you want to manually move the scope you can. 

I have done a quick review of the scope and using a power bank to power it.

1 hour ago, Flyingfuzz said:

I choose this scope because of the dual encoders (freedom find) so if you want to manually move the scope you can.

Spot on there flyingfuzz. Your review is also excellent. When the seeing is good the scope really shows it's ability. Many bands of Jupiter including the GRS are there to be had, the delicate tenuous gas filiments of M42 are mesmerizing and the sparkling trapezium the cherry on the cake. This scope is incredible and a delight to use, and when time or temperature is against you the goto is your friend.  Here is my latest Web shot of Jupiter with the GRS and Io about to hide. Apologies for the poor quality, the Web cam is not upto the job...The naked eye view was stunning.  

IMG-20160501-WA0002.jpg

10 minutes ago, employee2-4601 said:

Thanks folks - looks like this is definitely the one to go for!

You wont be disappointed. Good luck pal, and clear skies.

Lee.

Archived