NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can I get some help on taking proper flats with a dslr camera

Is the DSLR attached to a scope? If it is, just cover the end of the telescope with a white T-shirt and shine a white source evenly onto the shirt. I use the AV setting on my CANON and the camera does the rest. You can also use Ipads, or light boxes to do the same thing - but this is what I use. Just remember to keep the set up as it was when you took your light frames.

Not taken flats with my CCD yet, so that is something I have to play around with!

Hi, without changing any of the geometry of the camera and scope, I take mine in the early morning after a nights imaging run - assuming it is cloud free!. I keep the same ISO as the subs and adjust the exposure time to something which gives a histogram readout on the DSLR (500D) of about 50%. I take about 20-30 and stack them in PI before using to calibrate the subs. 

Archived