SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ideal magnification to see jupiter's details/red spot?

Learning to use 'averted vision' can also be of help in picking up on smaller details in the atmosphere of Jupiter - and being aware you are looking at a body of gas. Not solid. So it's going to change each time you observe it. Certain filters can also be of help with Jupiter, such as the Baader Moon & Skyglow Neodymium-Filter.

Here's a link to nice software-program to help you identify which moon is which at any given time. As well as the approximate location of the GRS:

http://astrosurf.com/rondi/jupiter/

Free to download and use.

Enjoy -

Dave

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Averted vision is the wrong tool for planetary viewing. The fovea (which you use in direct vision) is the sharpest part of the retina, dense with cones (colour sensitive) and very few rod (b&w, and better in low light). For planets (where there is plenty of surface brightness) you should use the fovea (direct vision) for faint DSOs the area outside the fovea is better, because it contains far more rods.

Regarding magnification: I never go far beyond 120x in my little 80mm F/6 triplet, but usually stick to 96x with the Pentax XW5. Lower contrast features such as those on Jupiter seem washed out at higher magnification. In the C8 I will go up to 203x (exit pupil 1mm) readily, and on nights of good seeing push to wards 254x (exit pupil 0.8mm) and even 290x with the extraordinary Pentax  XW7 (0.7mm exit pupil), but only when seeing is really superb.

Oh I don't know the technical side, but I've had some luck - maybe it was - in bit glance to one side helping me zero-in on some things in the belts. But however you do it, I find that each time you observe Jupiter - you can manage to find something you didn't see before.

I think that's what makes it such a great planet to hunt!

(Now back to taking measurements for a new Crayford for my Newt.....)

Dave

Archived