NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW Explorer 130 2x/3x Barlow for imaging.

Hi all, I'm currently using a 2x Barlow with t-thread to fix my canon 100D to my SW explorer 130. This is because the image won't reach the camera sensor without it(I'm not moving my mirror and drilling my scope) I'm wondering if by using a 3x Barlow with t-thread I'd be giving myself two choices of magnification. Does anyone know if this theory would be true either by experience or just in principle. Thanks in advance. 

Danny. 

Yes, you'll be able to reach focus with a 3x barlow. For planets it will actually be better than a 2x barlow with your scope (and actually optimal planetary imaging would be with a 4-5x barlow, and capturing your camera's liveview as video). For deep space you'd really need to focus without a barlow and a 3x would be worse than 2x. Apart from moving the mirror etc, a camera with a small flange distance might also work (like a Sony DSLR or a CCD camera).

Cool, now to find a 3x Barlow with the thread on it. Or is it possible to get a t-thread on a barrel that would fit into a standard Barlow? Also. I've never even considered using it without a Barlow for deep space photographing. I just tried it on the moon and when I couldn't achieve focus liked towards the Barlow. So thanks for the heads up in that one. 

Archived