Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ2 motor drive

I have received my Skywatcher 130PM from FLO (thanks Steve) and all ready to go apart from the motor drive because

A) Despite going out 3 times I have forgotten to get the batteries I need for it. Third trip to Tesco's I spent £24 and still forgot them, and that was all I went in for! :scratch:

:grin: Not sure which side of the right ascension gear the motor drive gear should be. In the destructions it looks like it is on the right hand side (looking at the RA gear in front of me) but this stretches the spring across the RA gear, so I'm wondering if it should be to the left, which seems to make more sense as the metal tab that is acting as the "clutch" then seems to work.

Thanks

John

Yes I really think you should. The supplied instructions are a little bit vague and the illustration definitely looks as if the motor gear is on the opposite side to where it should be. The pictures you posted showed it nice and clearly.

(I still haven't got my batteries though! :grin: )

If your staying near a power source you can get a little PSU out of B&Q to supply it with its go juice. The battries will last ages by the way. I have used mine quite a bit and the batteries are still going strong.

Dont forget to tighten the RA axis or else the motor wont get a good 'grip' - its a fabby little bit of kit despite its Heath Robinson look. Years ago when I did this I had a REAL clock drive - ie you wound it up cos it was clockwork powered - yes seriously.

Your right as well - the instructions were none too clear and initially I had the T bolt too tight and as a result the motor wouldnt engage at all.

I will bang out an EQ2 guide at the weekend to supplement my HEQ5 guide wot I wrote LOL :grin:

I still love my little 130 and if I thought the partner would wear it I'd not sell it.

I meant to mention about that T-bolt, when I first put it on I naturally did it up fairly tight. It was only when I read your guide that I realised it should be loosened.

Also the RA circle moving with the pointer unless you loosen that small nut is a bit baffling.

Be sure to let me know when your guide is wrote :grin:

Archived