NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What to Image?

Herzy

What should I image that would be pretty easy to do (I'de like to do some galaxies). I've already imaged M36, M37, M38, M42, M45, Double cluster and beehive cluster. 

Any suggestions? It has to be up tonight.

I found the pair M81 M82 pretty convenient for a DSLR. You may have to crop, but with a DSLR that is not much of a problem. And if you manage long enough exposures, you may even be able to catch some faint stuff in the background.

M 101 and M 51 are also ok for a DSLR. The more important issue is, how long single exposures can you get out of your equipment? If you only use tracking and don't have guiding, maximum single frame exposure time may be more of an issue than target size.

All these targets are near the big dipper

How about 'The Leo Triplet', three beautiful galaxies that should fit nicely on your Nikon D3200 sensor at 750mm. 

The trio of galaxies being M65, M66 & NGC3628 in Leo.

ALSO

Consider galaxies M81 & M82 in Ursa Major should make a nice couple on your camera sensor.

ALSO

Galaxy M101 in Ursa Major should take up about 1/6th of your sensor area on it's own.

Mike

Well I only got the mount yesterday so I haven't mastered it, but last night I continuously took about 30 60-second exposures and only one went wrong. The next clear night i get I'll push it and try some of these galaxies and I'll also try some stacking! Thanks for the suggestions!

EDIT:

My camera has a built-in noise reduction where it takes a dark frame automatically and combines the two. Should I use this? I only ask because I remember reading something about not using this but I don't remember. (This significantly lowers my light pollution problem btw)

9 hours ago, Herzy said:

Well I only got the mount yesterday so I haven't mastered it, but last night I continuously took about 30 60-second exposures and only one went wrong. The next clear night i get I'll push it and try some of these galaxies and I'll also try some stacking! Thanks for the suggestions!

EDIT:

My camera has a built-in noise reduction where it takes a dark frame automatically and combines the two. Should I use this? I only ask because I remember reading something about not using this but I don't remember. (This significantly lowers my light pollution problem btw)

The built in NR just wastes imaging time. It needs as long to take and apply a dark (which is what it's doing) as to take another sub. You'd be better with more subs.

I doubt that the NR is improving your LP situation. It may be helping your noise but it can't, so far as I can see, diminish your LP gradients. They are quite different issues, normally. (Unless your particular NR is also programmed to look for gradients. This would be new to me.)

Olly

Archived