Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter, unconventional 3 filter test

Aussie Dave

I had one last go.

I decided to use my 2" visual back on the Celestron Nexstar 8i with the Bintel ED 2x Barlow with no diagonal or UV/IR Cutoff filter.

600 frames stacked in Autostakkert!2 from a total of 3300 with the Xbox 360 Live Vision cam and Sharpcap, wavelets in Registax 6.

Jupiter Final 35percent.png

Jupiter Final 50percent.png

Jupiter Final 3 Filters Test.png

Jupiter Final.png

Now here's the strange part. I've always had difficulties getting correct colour with capture settings with all my videos so I set white balance to auto and didn't fiddle with hue. My live view when recording hardly shows any colour at all unless I up the saturation but I didn't play with that either. All my captures look more or less in monochrome in live view.

My recording tonight after stacking pretty much was a monochrome picture. I then put the best stacked image out of the few videos I've post processed tonight into Pixlr-o-matic and chose 3 different coloured fllters that were close to red, green and blue and saved the image each time for each filter.

I then layered the 3 colour filtered images in PaintDotNet. I now had a coloured image, although not 100% correct, it was at least some colour to work with.

I realise that this Jupiter result may not be to everyone's taste, it's a bit bold and in your face, however I was going through some NASA videos of Jupiter and it showed that the bands as dark brown. So I went with that. Could NASA be wrong?

The plus side from tonight is that I managed to capture a smidgen more detail and have found that the 2" ED Barlow works better than the standard 1.25" Barlow. Perhaps not using the UV/IR Cutoff filter may have helped as well.

Aussie Dave

ps in regards to  Pixlr-o-matic, there are only a few filters that are of any use for folks like myself that have problems with capturing correct colour. The rest of the filters are either textured, very contrasty, vignetted, grainy or a mix of all 4 and are not much use unless you're after that arty look.

Archived