Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade DS2090 AT-TC 90mm refractor -vs- Celestron Powerseeker 127 EQ

Which one of these two telescopes (of which I both own) would be better overall for DSOs in fairly light-polluted skies?
I have switch back and forth between them, but it has been mostly cloudy as of late.

I bought the EQ mounted Powerseeker before I joined this forum, and didn't know how hard using an EQ mount can
be for a beginner such as myself. So I have been leaning more towards my refractor, which has Goto but have been
using it manually to learn my way around the skies better, along with my binoculars (Orion WideView 10x50).

I am mainly interested in DSOs, as I know both of these do well with seeing Jupiter for example. Which one should I use to zero on
on the Messier Objects, which is my main aspiration so far, particularly galaxies.

So if you had these two side by side like I do, which one should I lean on more for obtaining good DSO results?

Thanks for reading this !

Of the two the 127 should be the better option simply due to the larger aperture. However, galaxies are grey smudges at the best of times so under light polluted grey skies you'll probably have a hard time seeing them with any scope. If you can get to a dark site you should be able to see galaxies much more easily and will then be able to judge for yourself the difference between the two scopes. 

Thank you, Ricochet. I will have to look for a good dark sky site without having to travel too far. According to the dark sky data I have seen for my area, I would have to travel a couple miles, but  I'm sure it will be worth it.

Archived