Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone else using camera filters in their scopes?

Jim78154

I'm just wondering if anyone else uses photographic  (camera) filters in their scopes. I recently started buying a few 2" eyepieces and therefore had a need for some color filters for them for planetary work. After having looked at the transmission curves of several camera filters, it appeared to me that yes indeed, yellow was yellow and red was red in scopes and cameras alike. The transmission curve of the filter that I bought was nearly identical to the curve of a popular brand medium yellow astro filter and I can say that it performs perfectly. I see no difference between the camera and the astro filter. I liked it so much that I went ahead and bought a medium green, a medium red, a medium blue and a light blue, a light orange and light yellow. All of these are 48 mm photo filters and they fit perfectly into my 2" eyepieces. They all seem to do the same things that the astro filters do and they cost me less than half of what astro filters sell for. I haven't tried any 1 1/4" (series 5) filters yet, so I don't know if they will fit as well as the 48 mm series 6 filters do. It is a bit confusing wading through the photographic jargon and discussions of tungsten light film and the associated filters, but it can be deciphered, eventually. 

I have wondered about this but 48mm camera filters are not that easy to find -at least not in the UK.  Looking on Amazon.co.uk I can't find any.  There are plenty of 49mm filters though.

I have found an adapter that might make it possible to use a 49mm filter on an eyepiece.  I shall probably get one and try it...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2016 at 05:42, Sporadic Dobstronomer said:

I have wondered about this but 48mm camera filters are not that easy to find -at least not in the UK.  Looking on Amazon.co.uk I can't find any.  There are plenty of 49mm filters though.

I have found an adapter that might make it possible to use a 49mm filter on an eyepiece.  I shall probably get one and try it...

You would be going the wrong way doing it like that. You could get the filter on the end of your eyepiece, but you would not get the eyepiece into the diagonal. It might work in a filter wheel, but it would depend on how much height you had in the wheel for the filters. The adapter would make the whole assembly much thicker. Try  E-Bay. They have loads of 48 mm filters of all kinds. 

Archived