NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Version of Stellarium

3 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

All you guys having problems run a system restore. Soinds to me like some of the programme coding is screwie on 0.14.3.  

However maybe they no this, have pulled it and released an updated version according to ringz above ! Might be worth installing that indtead. Remember a system restore takes you back to before you made any system alterations and is a foolproof way of ensuring a programme is completely removed if it does not work, albeit slightly long winded. In W7 goto start/accesories/system tools i think

I hate to disagree with you but a Windows System Restore isn't as good as you think. Essentially it only takes you back to an earlier restore point. The only real way to go back to an earlier image is to make an image regularly (I make a Macrium image every month) and install that. When I originally uninstalled Stellarium on Windows a few years back I thought a system restore would do it. It didn't and I ended up reinstalling Windows (I hadn't made an image back then). I probably could have made more of an effort to hunt down all the offending Stellarium system folders, but as my files were already backed up, it was easier to make a fresh install, which also conveniently removed all the pointless bundles often shipped with Windows. In fact, my system ran far better afterwards. I did miss Stellarium though, until I discovered it in the Ubuntu repo. You could always run Ubuntu off a live disc on a Win PC to use Stellarium I suppose. Some distros (LXLE?) have Stellarium preloaded I believe.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lxle

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also must point out that a Sys. Restore isn't foolproof. It can take your programs back to their previous state, while also transporting all the changes from the new software you're trying to get rid of. Result: A computer that's now mad-as-a-hatter! Gina had such an event - and all her needed programs and data seemed lost. Until she un-did the Sys. Restore. Then it came back to life with all her data thankfully home again!

Careful -

Dave

I just downloaded and installed Stellarium 0.14.3 64 bit. It appeared to install OK on my Windows 7 64 bit OS. However, when I try to run it, it never does anything, it won't load at all. So, I uninstalled it and tried again several times with exactly the same result. So, I downloaded and installed the 32 bit version 0.14.3 and that runs fine. Go Figure.

Archived