NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope tube rings tighten before and loosen after

Just curious if the tube rings for Newtonions especially the explorer telescope models Should be loosened after use if storing in a warmer climate or one likely to reach warm temperatures for example indoors, bedroom, living room etc :)

Reason i ask is because i just tried to loosen the tube rings on my unmounted Explorer 200p because the weather seems to be getting warmer each day and gets pretty hot indoors at times which made me wonder if the tube would expand. So unscrewed the tube ring bolts and heard a sound that you would expect from steel expanding a little. It wasn't very loud to raise concern but enough to get me thinking if it's better to loosen the rings due to expansion. Sound was from the open end with the cap on.

Probably is nothing to worry about but could possibly be if tube rings are tight right. Sure you guys will have a better idea

Have a feeling i might have been tightening them too much.  I'll take it easy from now on anyway just to be safe.

Just tighten 'em enough so that the tube doesn't slip. There will then be enough 'room' for any expansion issues in warm climes. It can be easy to over-torque them in use...

Archived