NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Motor Focuser help

catman161

Hey everyone. 

So I have finally got around to making all the adjustments needed for my Piertech 2 hydraulic pier. I have now remounted the Planeta and have also had an adapter machined to allow coupling of a skywatcher motorfocuser. 

As my setup is covered by a roll away shed I use the shed as a makeshift warm room in which I sit with my laptop when I do planetary imaging. The shed sits a good 3 meters away from scope and as I am a planetary imager only I constantly sit in there staring at the laptop screen adjusting the focus according to seeing conditions with the small hand control box that comes with the skywatcher autofocuser.

currently I am using a longer coiled (I believe this is correct please correct me if I am wrong) RJ9 cable between the hand controller and the motorfocuser. What I'm looking for is an extension cable of some kind, that is preferably straight, i.e. not coiled so that I can add it in to my existing loom that carries the other cables back to the laptop in the shed. 

Could anyone point me in the direction of where I might be able to purchase one? 

Thanks in advance :) 

Hi,

i have made several of these cables you talk about, I bought he 4 core flat phone cable the 4 pin crimp on end connectors and the crimping tool.

but you only need 2 core cable for the skywatcher DC motor, so how long does it need to be, and I may be able to make you one up, but it will be a complete cable with male connectors on both ends, to go from focuser to hand control, and do away with the curly cable altogether.

let me know the length, and if I have a long enough piece of cable I will make you one, and send for the cost of parts plus postage.

AB

Wow, that's great thank you very much for the kind offer. I have just redone the cables for the camera, eqdirect etc and it would need to be 4m long. Not sure you would have a eve that length laying about?! 

If if you do, let me know and drop me a PM. Thanks again :) 

I will check in the morning, I can use an old phone extension, as long as you don't mind it being white ?

and are you happy to then not use your origonal curly cable, as this one will be male to male connectors, don't have any female ones, they are a bit more tricky to put on.

phone handset cable is the one used on the skywatcher motor focusers, it's 4p4c 4 core cable, phone line extension cable is 6 core but I can cut 2 cores off and the connectors will fit fine, and test on my skywatcher focuser before I send.

AB

Archived