Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polar alignment EQ3- Octans??

Hi,

I need some advice for polar alignment. Got my EQ3 pro mount recently and planned on using it during the weekend (clear skies!).

But when I looked in the polar scope of the mount, it showed Octans and not the Big dipper. Does anyone know how to polar align in the northern hempisphere with a polar scope that seems to be made for southern hempisphere?

Tried searching online for some help, seems that this type can be used in both hempispheres, and looked in the manual which only said that I should find the Big dipper.. (the pictures in manual had both constallations, which mine doesn't).

Maybe someone here has the same type and habe done this before? Any help is much appreciated.

I just posted on a similar thread to this one. You do have the right scope - it is made for both northern and southern hemisphere. The circle in the middle is a clock face. You place Polaris on the clock face depending on its Hour Angle. I think there might be a bit more to it than that but essentially that's what you do.

It helps to be a contortionist :)

10 hours ago, kens said:

I just posted on a similar thread to this one. You do have the right scope - it is made for both northern and southern hemisphere. The circle in the middle is a clock face. You place Polaris on the clock face depending on its Hour Angle. I think there might be a bit more to it than that but essentially that's what you do.

It helps to be a contortionist :)

Thanks for your reply!

Good news, that I don't have the wrong one! A step in the right direction :)

Ok, so my hand control gives me some info about Polaris in the setup; it says Polaris position and Polaris Ha. So I should rotate R.A until Polaris is at the Polaris position given?

Let's say it says 04.30, then I rotate R.A until it's at 4.30 in the clock face and then I'm done? Should R.A be locked in that position, or should I put it down again after?

Maybe some stupid questions here, but I'm really looking forward to using it properly now when the weather is allowing it and I want to be prepared! :)

What you need to do first of all is make sure the reticule in the polar scope is properly centred. This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS43vH_sDbg shows how from 4:00

To polar align:

• Rotate the mount in RA until the zero on the clock face is at the top
  • Get the Polaris position from your hand control. 
  • Adjust the altitude and azimuth bolts until Polaris is at the right position on the clock face.

25 minutes ago, kens said:

What you need to do first of all is make sure the reticule in the polar scope is properly centred. This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS43vH_sDbg shows how from 4:00

To polar align:

• Rotate the mount in RA until the zero on the clock face is at the top
  • Get the Polaris position from your hand control. 
  • Adjust the altitude and azimuth bolts until Polaris is at the right position on the clock face.

Thanks again for your reply! I'll check out the video :icon_biggrin:

Archived