Am I well covered?

glennbech

Hi,

As mentioned in another thread I sold off my Photo gear and are pursuing visual astronomy for a while. I plan to use my Skymax 150 Mak 1800mm (Honestly I can count the number of times I have used this scope on two hands) and William Optics Megrez 90 (621mm) that was previously used for Imaging. 

I am trying hard not go get carried away by the usual Astro Gear Fever, but have spent a good portion of my budget on my first eye piece set that is now shipping from FLO.

- William Optics SWAN 33 mm 2" 
- Vixen SLV 20mm
- Vixen NPL 15 & 10m

I already own a Baader Planetarium Genuine Ortho 6mm that I like, but that is the only EP I own that is not damaged, dirty beyond cleaning, and that does not make funny sounds when
I shake them. 

I have some questions

- Am I missing something important here?  I can spend some more, but think I  want some time to actually observe, and get a feel for  what I need.       
- I think the 2" 33 mm can be used with my 150 Mak as well with an adapter, and that around 33mm is the "widest" the Mak can take without vignetting. Is that right? What do I need to purchase to make it fit? Is it possible/viable? Should I have gotten a wide 1.25" instead maybe?
- Do I really need a finder scope? I can "shoot from the hip" with my megrez, centering objects in a 20mm EP pretty well. Is "star hopping" done more easily in a good finder maybe? What to get?

Sorry for the weather :-)

Yes, I think you need a finder. Maksutovs have a narrow field of view. Mine has as well and I find it difficult to find objects by only looking into the widest eyepiece. I use both red dot and finder scope, but you could try with one of them first.

I would get myself a Telrad (i have 2) with your scope, provided you can see Stars close to where you want to view it will allow you to centre the object with in seconds, there are free Telrad maps, and the Telrad circles feature in Stellarium...... 

I  want some time to actually observe, and get a feel for  what I need

That would be my advice. Once you have an idea of what you need buying becomes less painful :)

You'd have to check what fitting the Mak is - some of the early ones don't have a standard SCT thread. If it does you should be able to fit a 2" back but, as you already guessed, vignetting is a problem due to the size of the opening.

Are you using the 90 with a 2" diagonal? I have an 80mm which I use with my 42mm LVW. I don't have a finder on that. At 5° FOV it isn't needed.

Are you using the 90 with a 2" diagonal? I have an 80mm which I use with my 42mm LVW. I don't have a finder on that. At 5° FOV it isn't needed.

Yup. I have the 2" diagonal the Megrez 90. 

I can screw the T. ring of my canon straight into to visual back of the Mak. Maybe I can attach a better SCT focuser and a 2" diagonal onto it...   

Archived