Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Maksutov and SCT users: where do you place your Rigel or Telrad?

Hi.

On my Mak I use both the 90 degree 6x30 finder that came with the scope and a Rigel Quikfinder. Because the Mak only has 1 place to screw in a finder foot, I use a dual finder bracket on which both finders are mounted. This works well when observing not too high up in the sky.

After a bit of a frustrating session yesterday, I found out that this set up doesn't work when the scope is pointed up high, near Polaris. It was really awkward to get underneath the Rigel to look through it. The 90 degree finder works is better because of the 90 degree angle. I am considering moving the Rigel to the front of the scope and festen it with double sided tape.

Where do you others place your Rigel or Telrad or any other red dot finders that you look through from behind? What is the best ergonomical solution?

Thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, Tinker1947 said:

I use a Telrad and a 4" stand off bracket, and nothing else....:hello:

But where is it standing? In the front or the back of the scope? And it is comfortable then looking at Zenith?

I have my Telrad half way down the tube.   It is still awkward to use when looking at things near the zenith.    However, by setting the tripod pretty high and using a plastic sheet so I can kneel makes it manageable.   My rule of thumb is to set the tripod roughly so that I have to be on tiptoes to see the horizon - this gives comfortable viewing for most things and less contortion for the zenith.

I'm not convinced it makes a lot of difference where you position the finder.   With an SCT or Maksutov, I think your head ends up behind the tube regardless, especially when looking at the zenith.

1 hour ago, Riemann said:

I have my Telrad half way down the tube.   It is still awkward to use when looking at things near the zenith.    However, by setting the tripod pretty high and using a plastic sheet so I can kneel makes it manageable.   My rule of thumb is to set the tripod roughly so that I have to be on tiptoes to see the horizon - this gives comfortable viewing for most things and less contortion for the zenith.

I'm not convinced it makes a lot of difference where you position the finder.   With an SCT or Maksutov, I think your head ends up behind the tube regardless, especially when looking at the zenith.

Maybe that's it. I have had my tripod high for a while, so that I could sit on a garden chair. But it becomes a little less stable the higher it is and finding thing low required standing up and sitting on the not so comfortable armrest. So yesterday I tried it in the lowest position and sat on the small Ikea stepchair. But I guess I'll have to take the tripod higher up again. And get myself a proper observing chair.

I have already purchased 3 foldable canoe bags that can be filled with sand that I want to lay over the tripod legs to stabilize them. Now it just remains to find sand somewhere under all the snow.

Archived