Backup Power For Celestron Nexstar

geministar

Didn't fancy the big, costly, rechargeable supplies.

Also didn't relish the prospect of inserting eight battery units in the 'scope's onboard holder in the dark.

Solution: An 8-way AA battery holder (Ebay) connected to a suitable socket (off an old supply) via connector block.  Just place it on the tray, plug in, and continue!

Made two to be on the safe side.

post-48587-0-50958000-1452236861.jpg

You should get 90mins or maybe a couple of hours out of 8 batteries if you're lucky - much less on a cold night. A 17ah battery pack can last all night and a leisure battery several nights. So your power requirements really depend on how long you plan to be using the scope - time passes so quickly when you really get hooked into star gazing. Have fun :)

You should get 90mins or maybe a couple of hours out of 8 batteries if you're lucky - much less on a cold night. A 17ah battery pack can last all night and a leisure battery several nights. So your power requirements really depend on how long you plan to be using the scope - time passes so quickly when you really get hooked into star gazing. Have fun :)

Thanks, brantuk.  90 mins. x 3 (2 backups plus the original batteries in the 'scope) should be fine for me - at least for the immediate future!

I wouldn't bank on 90 minutes in the winter, the mount requires 11 volts minimum your 8 AA's will soon be down there, what ever info is help by the mount will be lost while you unplug and plug in another battery pack, you really need to think about a  17ah or some think similar.

Thanks, Tinker1947.  Yes, I suppose I would have to re-align it if I changed supplies, since inserting the plug into the DC I/P automatically disconnects the onboard batteries.  

It'll do me for the moment, as I've already spent rather too much on EPs!

Archived