NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dec scale stiff on HEQ5

Hi,

I have brought a second hand HEQ5 and when trying to set the mount up using the method shown by astrobaby, the dec scale seems very stiff to turn even when the grub screw is completely removed. As a result after leveling the dec axis at 18.00, as you turn the axis back to the 'home' position the dec scale appears to get stuck and you can feel that the dec axis is not running smoothly.

Do I need to strip the dec axis down or is there a straight forward explanation for this?

Thanks for any help/advice,

Rob

It's a common problem I've seen discussed on several forums Rob - and it doesn't always happen for the exact same reason. But it nearly always involves an amount of stripping down, cleaning up, and regreasing / resetting.

Or you can send away and get an expert to do it for around £80-£90. Try Graham at Astrotec if you go that route - he's quick, good, and very reasonable. Hth :)

Archived