DIY illuminated reticle Antares 25mm 70° EP

michael.h.f.wilkinson

As I reported earlier this year, I managed to get a nice glass reticle for my Antares 25mm 70° EP, which I use in my DIY 14x70 RACI finder. The new reticle is a bit thinner than the old (made from two hairs). I therefore looked for a way to turn it into an illuminated reticle, by drilling a hole in the side of the barrel, tapping an M8x0.75 thread in it, and attaching a spare illuminator. Today I found time to put the plan into action, and after removing the optics (except the eye lens, which wouldn't budge), some careful measurements, and some tense moments with the drill, it all came together.

post-5655-0-95555000-1451215296_thumb.jppost-5655-0-01105500-1451215266_thumb.jppost-5655-0-67381900-1451215310_thumb.jp

Now all I need is clear weather

Looks a good job, how do you rate the eyepiece?

Thanks! The EP is quite nice, but shows clear astigmatism at the edges in the 70mm F/5 I use as RACI finder. Not bad for an item I picked up for £30 inc. basic / functional(!) postage from Macavity. I think it is essentially an Erfle design

Archived