Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Starseek wifi

Hi,

I have a HEQ5 Pro with a Synscan and wanted to control this mount via Skysafari 4 on iOS so bought an Orion starseek wifi module (it says this config is compatible).

Having followed the instructions, set the app up with the right mount details and checked out as much stuff online as I could I'm having problems however. The app can communicate with the module but the module isn't talking to my mount.

So my Synscan is plugged into my mount as usual, I've tested this works and can control the mount. A cable then feeds from the Synscan to the Orion module, this cable has been tested on the Synscan by upgrading the firmware recently.

Does anyone have this configuration and got it to work? Or have any ideas of something I could be missing?

Thanks,

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, so it connects but can't talk to the mount.  What settings do you have set in SkySafari for the scope setup?  

Check you have Scope Type set to Skywatcher Synscan and Mount Type set to Equatorial Goto (German).  Also set the Readout Rate to 4 sec.  

If this doesn't work, can you access the setting page on the starseek?  in SkySafari on iPhone/ipad you can go to settings -> Telescope -> Setup -> SkyFi Settings Web Page while connected to the Wifi of the Starseek device.  

Hi Craig,

Yes, so in SkySafari I am using the Skywatcher Synscan and the Equatorial Goto (German) as you said, the readout rate is already set to 4 seconds.

I can access the SkyFi settings webpage yes, not sure there's much to change apart from the serial port settings, these are currently set to:

Network Client: Not Connected

Baud: 9600

Parity: No Parity

Data bits 8 bits

Stop bits: 1 bit

TCP port: 4030

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt

That all looks correct.  You can clearly connect I assume the TCP port and IP match those you have set in SkySafari.  Some more things to check:

1. Make sure the batteries are OK, change if necessary.

2. Is the cable from the StarSeek to the Synscan handset the one provided with the StarSeek?  Do you have another one you can try?

3. Is the Synscan fully initialised?  I.e the initial setup is complete and you can select an object in the controller and it slews to it, etc?

Oh one other thing, how are you cabling between StarSeek and Synscan?  I assume you have this:- StarSeek -> RJ14 to DB9M adapter that came with the StarSeek -> D-SUB9 to RJ12 cable that came with the Synscan handset -> Synscan.

If all that checks out, I'd contact Orion support, or whoever you bought it from.  

Hi Craig,

1. Yes, new batteries.

2. It is but see below.

3. Yes.

I tried to update the firmware of the module this evening, just in case it was related. Used the procedure documented here:

http://www.telescope.com/assets/product_files/technotes/TN011_01-13.pdf

I tried this on both my PC and Mac, neither could connect to the module to update the firmware. I don't have another cable, I presume the DB9-RJ11 that came with it is bespoke, could be wrong, don't know much about cabling. So this issue could be the cable or it could be the module itself of course and related to the bigger problem.

Cheers,

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Archived