Celestron Neximage vs SPC900NC Webcam

blueranger

Hi all,

Has anyone experience on the above cameras?

I have a mak 127 supatrak and was thinking of purchasing either of the above. The neximage I can get for around the same price as the SPC900NC on ebay new http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=180241739404&Category=3636&_trksid=p3907.m29 , but the SPC900NC would be coming from a Astronomy dealer as a kit with adapter Etc http://www.modernastronomy.com/camerasPlanetary.html

The Neximage also seems to display the image on the back of the unit and all software for more ease of use, am I right?

Also both these cameras seem to have the equivalent of a 6mm eyepiece which would make my scope x300 mag which I think would be pushing it a bit, but with a x2 focal reducer would make it x150 which i am not sure if this is any good for Saturn or the moon, any help please....?

Lots of questions but any help would be appreciated.

The comparision to a 6mm eyepiece is just to give you some idea of FOV and image scale, you'll be using and tweaking the best frames out of 100s or 1000s so while using a 6mm eyepiece in the Mak for visual would be too much, it'll be fine for planets and lunar close ups. Of course you can use a reducer if you wan to get wider shots of the Moon.

I think the chips inside the two cameras are identical, I'm not sure that the Celestron has a screen in the back though??? I'd get the Phillips and download the free software simply because a lot more people on the this forum (and others) use this setup than use the Celestron so you'd have plenty of help/ advice along the way. Just my 2p...

I went with the SPC900 from Bern at modern astronomy and was very pleased with the camera and the aftersales service because i had problems reaching focus on my scope and Bern sorted it over the phone and i had the required fix in the post the next day.

Mick

Get the SPC900NC, it's cheaper for one thing as the price includes delivery whereas it's extra for the Neximage.

There's definitely no screen on the back of the Celestron!

The FOV is more like that of a 4.5mm Plossl eyepiece imo but as Gaz says don't confuse this with magnification.

I'd advise using a 2x Barlow with the 127 when seeing conditions permit.

bern

Archived