Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Farpoint astro collimator kit

Hi all,

Last week I've received my 12" F4 ORION OPTICS UK and of course the first thing that I was worried about is the collection as this is my first Newtonian I get and being f4 I was really thinking of buying a quality collimator in order for this telescope to show it's optical quality.

Although I did a mistake and I bought a cheap laser collimator from 365astronomy, but I quickly realised that I made a big mistake

post-26075-0-59863800-1447263207_thumb.j

post-26075-0-94402500-1447263268_thumb.j

post-26075-0-02604300-1447263333_thumb.j

That should get you close but with your scope the final arbiter will be a star test using a high-power EP. A friend had one of these 12" f/4 Newts and I collimated it many times, it's a far more delicate adjustment than my own f/5.3 requiring finer adjustments, but it's a simple job when you get used to it. Don't depend on the scope holding its collimation if you are moving it around - it won't, and you'll need to tweak it each time it's set up.

ChrisH

That should get you close but with your scope the final arbiter will be a star test using a high-power EP. A friend had one of these 12" f/4 Newts and I collimated it many times, it's a far more delicate adjustment than my own f/5.3 requiring finer adjustments, but it's a simple job when you get used to it. Don't depend on the scope holding its collimation if you are moving it around - it won't, and you'll need to tweak it each time it's set up.

ChrisH

Thanks ChrisLX200

I will do a star test but I need to know what should I see in case of perfect collection?

Thanks ChrisLX200

I will do a star test but I need to know what should I see in case of perfect collection?

Just perfectly symmetric diffraction rings with a star in the centre of the FOV. Nothing complicated. Your collimating device will help get all the optical components in the right place - primary and secondary mirrors - the star test cannot do that for you. The only problem you have is knowing which collimation screw to turn and by how much, and that is the experience you will gain by doing it.

ChrisH

Archived