Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What frames to do deconvolution on?

I'm making my first attempts at doing deconvolution on and have a question at this point.

I'm doing a SHO project and intend to use the HA as luminance as well as colour channel.

My question is: what image to do deconv. on? All three, SHO? Or just the H qua luminance?

TIA for any input

Just the luminance in that case, but using Ha as a luminance in SHO images is going to lose you all the detail in the other channels so is not advisable. Ordinarily, because detail is available in all three narrow band channels, and each is different from the other, then you can deconvolve each channel before combining them. This may work well - or it may not :-) It really depends what is in each of the channels, and you must use a good star mask if you go that route (or add a separate RGB star layer). Remember deconvolution must be done early in the process - whilst the data is still linear.

ChrisH

LOL yeah, :-)  Consider the Veil neb as an example, each channel is an image in its own right - a unique distribution of information. Most of the detail in the Blue channel would be gone if you used Ha as the luminance, only in those parts where OIII and Ha overlapped would you see any Blue at all.

Veil%20bi-colour_zpsski3qxwt.jpg

ChrisH

OK, this is the teaching that has led me astray on this issue....

http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/2013/02/tutorial-nebulae-pixinsight-workflow.html

I'm currently wrestling with some data on the Pacman nebula, here is what I have so far using the HA as luminance method, but have not done any deconvolution

: http://www.astrobin.com/full/224989/0/

Many thanks.

Archived