Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stacking (Again)

Hello all, I am looking for some advice. Late last year I briefly tried some deep space photography and ended up using DSS through Wineskin on my Mac, this week I have decided to have another bash at deep space stuff but since the update to El Capitan on my Mac DSS won't work.

Can anyone recommend a fix or some better/equivalent software for use on a Mac that doesn't cost the earth or require me to have a degree in computer programming to get it to work.

Thanks in advance

John

From what I have read about it your wine programs should work if you update the wrappers.

I use Nebulosity for Mac, this works well and although the alignment method may seem tedious at first when you consider the amount of frustration that you get from DSS messing up the alignment or spending 10 minutes to tell you it only stacked one out of 20 frames because it couldn't find enough stars it is actually quite nice.

PI is good but a steep learning curve and pricey.

Last I tried Siril it was tricky to install and get working but they may have fixed that now that they are onto stable releases.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Dan, I have been watching YouTube videos of Nebulosity, it does look like a long winded process but the results I have seen look well worth it. I have managed to get DSS working on my Mac by using a VM and running Win 10, I might give the trial version of Nebulosity a try and see how I get on.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

John

No problem, yeh I guess the star alignment could be a pain of you have loads of short exposures but I tend to use 10 min subs so it isn't that much clicking and it works as an extra check that each frame is ok at the same time.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived