I thought I'd decided

rockystar

Having recently followed a few threads about the perfect number of eyepieces, keeping your collection within the same range, drooling over other people eyepiece cases, and reading some reviews about the Vixen LVW range; I thought I had decided the answer to these questions and what my (eventual) case would look like.

The perfect number of eyepieces, (for me, at this moment in time) I figured would be 5 or 6:

a couple of high powered planetary eyepieces, in the range of 4.5mm to 8 mm.

a couple of medium powered nebular eyepieces, in the range of 12mm to 18mm.

and one or two low powered galaxy and finder eyepieces, in the range of 24mm to 32mm.

(the lower (4.5) and the upper (32) are based on the highest practical magnification and exit pupil, respectively, in my f/5)

Staying in the same range:

I like the idea of this as (in theory) it should provide consistency between AFOV, focal points, eye relief and it will keep the case nice and tidy, thus keeping my OCD in check.

I appreciate that there are probably some objects that will benefit from more specific eyepieces, but as I am still early in my observing life, I feel that a more generic set to start with will be more beneficial, and when I'm more experienced I can start considering specific eyepieces for specific objects.

So what have I got and what do I need:

I recently purchased a 7mm & 18mm Omegon Super LE as they were on offer, and I've got a 12mm Vixen NLV on the way. I've also got the stock 10 & 25mm eyepieces that came with the scope, but I find my self not using these at all any more, as the wider AFOV of the Omegon's yield about the same TFOV.

I like the Omegons', I don't really notice any of the deficiencies that I see you guys discussing, but I'm not an experienced observer and haven't had lots of eyepieces to compare them. However, I don't see these as being in my set when this is eventually finalised (a state that I fear I will never achieve).

Back to the Vixen's:

with all the above in mind, and the positive reviews I'd read, the Vixen LVWs seemed like they would cover all of my bases and meet all of my requirements, until I then read a thread about someone's new Baader Morpheus; what a beautiful eyepiece, more great reviews, and the suggestion that it may be a better choice that the LVWs due to their greater AFOV.

Dilemma. LVWs that will fulfil my entire range, or the Morpheus that only goes up to 17mm and then leaves me needing to find something else to fill the low power range?

At £167 each, it's looking like about 1 every four to six months, and not starting until next year. I know everyone raves about Tel Vue, but at another £100+ on top, these feel a bit out of my price bracket (until my kids have moved out of home in 15 years or so!!).

My immediate need is a low powered finder eyepiece - so I do go for a 30mm Vixen LVW, or find something that will complement the Morpheus range? Areo, Panaview, other?

I think that's all for now (it's already taken me too long to write).

I look forward to your suggestions and comments.

This is always difficult. I first had just three Plossls, then replaced the 10mm Plossl with a Vixen LV 9mm (brilliant EP), and added an LV 7mm later. That was stable for a long time, until the 2" bug bit, and a TMB Paragon, followed by a Meade 14mm UWA, followed by a spate of Naglers and Radians. I became a near purist Tele-Vue shop until I could get a very good deal to replace my 10mm and 8mm  Radians by a Pentax XF 8.5, and XW10 and XW7. I have since replaced the XF by a Delos 8, which might not have been as wise a move as I thought. What I have found over the years is that you can mix and match EPs quite happily in the lower magnification bracket, but not so much in the higher. Parfocality is the not a huge deal if the field is wide, because you just refocus, and even in a non-tracking scope, your object is still in the FOV. For planetary, parfocality is a big deal. You are chasing moments of seeing by trying to find the best match of magnification, object detail, and seeing conditions. The last thing you want is for you to lose the object because you need to refocus drastically. The Delos really stands out from the XWs on either side, so I tend to jump from XW10 to XW7 immediately.

From a practical point of view, it makes good sense to use Vixen LVWs or NLVs and SLVs together at the shorter end (they are parfocal, and close to parfocal with the Morpheus and XWs), and simply see what you can get on the longer end.

Archived