DIY eyecup?

Joe12345

I recently received a 6.7mm es eyepiece, and after one session decided that the eyecup was too uncomfortable - unlike the luxury of the twist up one I'm used to on my maxvision.

So I decided to make one. I bought a sheet of foam and some double sided tape from hobby craft, and put together what I think is a pretty comfortable eyecup.

I can't currently see any flaws, so please feel free to point them out to me!

Has anyone done this before, and if so is there anything I need to be careful about?

Thanks!

post-45409-0-12124700-1445867686_thumb.j

post-45409-0-78667600-1445867720_thumb.j

post-45409-0-06029700-1445867757_thumb.j

Yes I've made DIY eyecups to sort eyepieces with extra long eye relief (usually very low power) because if you get too close blackouts become an issue, also helps exclude stray light. I also used thin foam, and curved the upper end to fit round my face.

You can make the eyecup not too tight a fit, then it can be slid up & down for a precise height from the EP.

Good call, Ed.

Can the foam deal with excess dew?. I know camping mat foam should be ok with dew but the foam used above looks more absorbent?.

Well done on being creative. I always observe with the eye cups pushed fully down. I just cant get along with them in any way shape or form........twist or not. I have to have my eyeball almost touching the glass lens. Its just comfortable to me that way. I wear glasses all day but ive never worn glassed while observing.

Archived