Good eye piece video advice...

One of our members  has a detailed informative site which also includes mention to the BST Starguiders, which helped me when I started out. http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm

Robin has made a few suggestions to me (all pleasant I may add via PM ) and the results are in my signature, BST, PANAVIEW, SPL, all fantastic eyepieces for my needs,  and work very well in my f/6 scope,  the results are terrific on the nights that allow for visual observations.

Been looking at the Celestron X-Cel LX EPs. They're parfocal, but not as expensive as a couple of other makes I've looked at. I've also been wondering about getting a zoom EP, though the one I'd like to buy cost more than my scope!

From what I've read, though, zoom lenses are a case of jack of all trades, master of none. Apparently they're good in terms of avoiding an ever-growing collection of EPs, but aren't as good as the equivalent individual units.

My wallet's now trying to find a safe place to hide... ;-)

It's an interesting movie with some useful basic information but heavily biased towards Orion (USA) products of course and some of the ones he talks about are rather mediocre to be honest :rolleyes2:

Yes, the bias isn't exactly disguised. However, the basic concepts seem sound enough. I'm always asking people about eyepieces and I'll get several different opinions on one brand and several different opinions on another. It's like asking someone what they're favourite make of headphones is - no one's ears/eyes are exactly the same, so we all experience different things. I'm tempted to just bite the bullet and get a couple of affordable EPs and see what I see...

If you rely on advice put together by a brand at least you don't get confused with many other options I guess !

Some of the Orion eyepieces cost quite a bit more than exactly the same eyepiece under different branding though. Worth knowing if you want your £'s to go further :wink:

Just borrowed my dad's Celestron X-Cel 18mm and tried it in my Astromaster - WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

The image was amazingly sharp and the colours seemed a lot more vibrant as well (this is compared to the Plossls that come in the big Celestron EP and filter kit).

I've now ordered meself a couple of X-Cels to get started.

Archived