Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using a cooled CCD

piprees

Hi, just a quick one. I was getting fogging on the front lens of my guide scope, humidity was quite high. Warmed it up with a hair dryer, problem solved. What happens with a cooled CCD camera in a situation like this, (I'm thinking of getting one), or am I missing something?

Regards,

Phil

Usually it's not a problem because it's enclosed, but larger CCD windows can suffer from misting (especially Kodak sensors which tend to be cooled more than Sony sensors). In this case the camera manufacturers provide a heating element to keep the window clear. Example: my Atik490EX (Sony sensor) has no heating and I;ve never had a problem with it misting up even when the scope has been dripping with dew, my larger Moravian G4 (Kodak 16803 sensor) does have a heated window, although I have yet to use this camera so not sure under what conditions it will be required.

ChrisH

Usually it's not a problem because it's enclosed, but larger CCD windows can suffer from misting (especially Kodak sensors which tend to be cooled more than Sony sensors). In this case the camera manufacturers provide a heating element to keep the window clear. Example: my Atik490EX (Sony sensor) has no heating and I;ve never had a problem with it misting up even when the scope has been dripping with dew, my larger Moravian G4 (Kodak 16803 sensor) does have a heated window, although I have yet to use this camera so not sure under what conditions it will be required.

ChrisH

Depends on the manufacturer! I use, side by side on a tandem rig, a Starlight Xpress SXVH36 and and an Atik 11000. The Atik has both a dessicant chamber and a chip window heater and never fogs up. The SXVH36 has neither and does sometimes fog up. And, let me tell you, I am not amused!

Olly

Archived