NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just got back from America

nitram100

I was staying in Portland with a friend and she drove to a place called The Dalles, it only took 1 hour, but on the way there we stopped off on the side of the road to let her dog go potty and then i looked up... oh my god, i've never seen anything like it, i couldn't make out any constellations at all because they were lost among the surrounding stars, it was literally like dust, i must have seen 3 meteors in about 5 minutes, so it's a bit of an anti climax being back in London YAY!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :angry::(:p:) To think that a place as dark as that was only 45 minute drive from a huge city like Portland reaffirms why i want to live in the States. I also picked up some protostar paper and a curved spider vane while out there :headbang:

You have just made most of us very envious.

Of course we get skies like that in the UK, but only once every Octember.

I take it you will move to the US. when the time is right?

Ron. :angry:

Definately mate! I married my American girlfriend 1 year ago so it's only a matter of time now! I'd like to move to Arizona but she says it is ridiculously hot and that she would rather stay in the UK!! :shock:

I thought the Arizona skies were second to none. Lots of professional Obsies in Az.

SGL member Astroman is an Arizonian, and I don't ever remember him saying the heat was unbearable. But, he may be well acclimatised now. He is a very active astronomer too.

Ron. :angry:

There are lots of wonderful skies in Canada, and we have a decent health-care system, too. Does get cold in winter, though.

I'm in Toronto as I type, here on a holiday which i've just extended for another 2 weeks!

I'm enjoying the friendliness, open spaces, green space and am planning a trip to Ottawa next week, so that should have some great scenery along the way and amazing skies.

I am sick of the UK and it's permanent gloomy miserable weather :angry:

There are lots of wonderful skies in Canada, and we have a decent health-care system, too. Does get cold in winter, though.

I'm in Toronto as I type, here on a holiday which i've just extended for another 2 weeks!

I'm enjoying the friendliness, open spaces, green space and am planning a trip to Ottawa next week, so that should have some great scenery along the way and amazing skies.

I am sick of the UK and it's permanent gloomy miserable weather :angry:

Enjoy it while you can mate, it's pretty depressing coming back to the yellow skies of Britain! I was only gone 1 week and they installed 2 more street lights on my street, which makes a total of 18 visible from my bedroom window! :x

Archived