Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Loading AutoPEC data in PRECprep

Vox45

I tested autopec yesterday and now I feel a bit stupid that I did not know about this feature that has been there for quite some time. I did spend a LOT of time learning PECprep and PErecorder ... watching all Chris Shillito's videos and all ...

I just have one question: in the PEC manual (p.9) it reads "Once capture is complete the periodic error data is written out to a text file with the suffix _EQMOD. This can then be further analysed using PECPrep" but I can't see where I can do that.

Autopec generated 2 files for me pec_10062015175456.txt and pecapture_10062015175456_EQMOD.txt and in PECPrep, in the [load] menu I have these choices:

post-39102-0-68843700-1444226819_thumb.j

I did get this graph when using pecapture_10062015175456_EQMOD.txt with [PERecorder AD] but get different graph depending on the load menu choice.

post-39102-0-60892400-1444227416_thumb.j

So basically, what is the proper way of loading files generated by autopec in PECPrep. I have a hard time understanding those 2 entries [PERecorder AD] and [PERecorder DEC] in wich case would I use on or the other ?

Autopec now takes care of that part automatically, so I know I do not have to use PECPrec anymore but I would like to be able to (try to) analyze the data :)

** AArrghhh just noticed I named the topic PRECpep !! Sorry about that

Ho and as I side note: EQMOD and PECprep both load in french even though my laptop is installed in english. I guess it uses the location to base its language.

I notice that this is a trend in the software industry, assuming that since you are [insert native language here] you want your software to be in your native language. Give people the choice, most of the time I want my software to be in english, this is easier to search for error message and documentation or participate in forums ;) a dropdown menu with language desired is much more flexible. Just my 2 cents. no offence.

I found the answer to solve my language issue... Just sharing in case some people ran into the same problem:

EQMOD_ASCOM has been designed so that alternate language distributions can be created without changes to the EQMOD source. All language specific text is held within a string table resource.  English  is  the  default  language  and  the  associated  resource  file  forms  part  of  the executable but alternate languages can be supported by encapsulating a translated resource file into a language dll file. On  start-up  EQMOD_ASCOM  detects  the  language  via  inspection  of  your  PC's  locale settings.  An  attempt  is  then  made  to  load  a  dll  named  EQMODxx.dll  -  where  xx  is  an abbreviated  form  of  your  particular  language  i.e.  EQMODfr.dll  =  French,  EQMODde.dll  = German, EQMODes.dll = Spanish etc. If a suitably named dll cannot be found, English is used by default  (an English dll need not be present  as  the  EQMOD_ASCOM  application  has  an  in  built  English  resource  file  it  will  use instead).

For testing purposes the default language dll used can overridden by editing the LANG_DLL entry  in  the  EQMOD.ini  file  and  assigning  a  filename.  If  you  want  to  give  this  a  try,  edit  the EQMOD.in file to read  LANG_DLL=EQMODFR.dll  - the language should change to French. Each time the application needs to display text data it first tries to read it from the language dll. If the particular text doesn't exist, then the English text will be used instead. In this way if translated  dlls  ever  lag  behind  the  current  English  version  all  that  will  happen  is  that  ‘new’ English text will appear where the dll has missing entries.

I deleted the language DLL in PECprep and it worked :) I'll try deleting the language DLL in EQMOD so I should also default to english ... I'm a happy camper now :)

Archived