Astrophotography Question- Specifically MFT (though any input appreciated)

Robsta

Hi!

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong section- it seemed the most relevant.

Last Christmas I bought a Skywatcher 130M, with the intention of using as much for astrophotography as stargazing. I use Micro Four Thirds cameras, and after a great deal of fiddling (I had to use a 2x Barlow and a 0.3 focal reducer to get the moon in frame), I managed to get a few semi-decent shots of the moon.

However, before I even got as far as setting the telescope up properly to take advantage of the motorised mount, my wife comandeered my "observatory" to use as a home-office for her new job, and since then the scope has been packed away out-of service. Consequently I have been considering selling it, which leads me on to my question.......

Has anybody had any experience of using the cheaper (£100-ish) 500mm telephoto lenses (not mirror lenses) for astrophotography, specifically on Micro Four Thirds cameras, and if so how good were the results?

At the minute (and for the foreseeable future unfortunately) my telescope is doing nothing but take up space, and though I apreciate its a different kettle of fish, if I can take a decent photo of the moon with a cheap telephoto lens then at least I enjoy the hobby to some degree.

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

500mm might be a tough one depending how you mount the camera.

If mounted on a tripod you may get reasonable results if the seeing is good.

I have done handheld shots at 250mm with a Canon dslr but blur is most likely.

Here is one I did handheld at sunrise one morning, 250mm kit zoom on a 60D.

moon12th.jpg

Unfortunately its not possible/practical where we live to use the scope outside (we're in a maisonette- which was great for using it indoors as we're a floor higher than all the surrounding houses).

The results from the 250mm lens look promising though- I assume that image has been cropped to make the moon fit the frame?

Many thanks,

Rob

Archived