Any safety tips for ND 5.0 Baader solar film?

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/baader-astrosolar-a4-nd50-safety-film-sheet.html

Above is what'll be arriving tomorrow, I assume the instructions will come with the packaging, but is there anything else I should know, for safety, and just for general use, I've heard to test if the film is working ok you should hold your hand out behind the eyepiece and make sure the image projected onto it isnt blazingly hot, Is that correct? Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance guys!

If you are going to use it on a scope (as opposed to bins) then make sure you either put some film on the finder scope as well, or cap the finder completely (better still remove it). You don't want anyone else accidentally looking through the scope or finder without both being protected. Stay in attendance all the time it's set up - keep an eye on kids especially.

A 1 second look at the sun through unprotected optics can cause irreversible damage to the eye. Hth :)

Don't forget to remove the thin clear protective film before use to save some initial disappointment .

When mounting your filter cell make sure that the solar film is not right down on the end of the 'scope or dewshield , this will inevitably lead to rubbing over time and result in damage to he inside coating .

Archived