Helios 150mm Refractor

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dave

I saw the Tal and it was worth the £118 paid, even minus a few accessories. But it is a 4" scope and there is a lot of visible view difference between a 4" and a 5" and a great deal of difference from 4" to a 6".

You've had some good advice in this thread: the asking price for the Helios is way too high, the old style tripod is pants and the early EQ5s weren't great either, no ball bearings etc. These come up regularly, often in much better looking condition. It seems to me the seller is not an astronomer as he clearly doesn't know how to mount the scope on it's tripod correctly! That in itself would set the alarms ringing.

I have owned all the scopes mentioned above. I still have a Bresser 127L F9.5 and for me that would be the smart choice. It is much lighter than the Helios, sits well on an EQ5 class mount, and shows less CA than the F8 Helios, very similar to the Tal, but goes a good bit deeper in faint objects: for example, M13 Globular in Hercules will start to really resolve in the 5" but not so in the Tal, other than a few stars at the outer edges in very dark skies.

As you say yourself, you can get the brand new Bresser 127L OTA for around £245 - the diagonal is poor, but the finder is ok and the 26mm plossl is also not too bad. The focuser is better than the Helios, but not as good as the Tal. But all around, for the money, I personally think that a brand new fulll 5" aperture F9.5 refractor for £245 is stunning value. Add a decent 2" diagonal for around £40-£50 used and you are good to go.

Good luck,

Dave

Archived