Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary / Guiding Camera

freiform

Dear Forum, 

primarily, I'm looking for a planetary cam that can also mimic as a guiding cam using my 9x50 finder-scope. It appears that mostly ALCCD and ZWO are used. Currently use a Philips 900SPC, but given the driver situation and generally quality, this isn't much fun. 

Can you provide any recommendations? I would like to stay below 300€/220£. I'm currently using a 127mm mak and 135mm reflector on a Vixen GP.

Thank you and all the best

Sven

I can account for the ASI experience.

The ASI120mm is a great little camera, its build quality feels very sturdy, a nice CNC machined body which has a bright red color. It has four holes in the back to attach a cooler or even peltier element. It has a low noise reading and its sensitivity is very high, even in an F7,5 guidescope the camera is performing very well and there are a lot of guide stars visible for 2 second exposures. I also tried it for solar imaging a bit and it shows some very nice details so I'm thinking planetary imaging would not be any problem! For the price its a great little planetary/guider camera with some ability to reduce noise even more with cooling.

Thank you for your suggestions.

With the USB 3.0 in stores, the USB 2.0 version of the ASI120MM seems to be a rather good deal (213€). 

While the more sensitive MM would be ideal for guiding, I would have to invest in a filter wheel for colored images. I do not know if the sensitivity of the color variant of the ASI120 will suffice for guiding with the small 9x50 finder scope.

I can not say if the color version will be less sensitive and not suitable for guiding, I will not say something works without proof. The only thing I can say is the mono with filters would give you higher resolution images than the color version. However the costs of the filters would have to be accounted for. Did you make your decision yet?

I ordered the monochrome version. I guess it's optimal for guiding and should I get bored with s/w images, i'll go shopping for a filter wheel.

Great choice! If you dont want to spend that much, get a manual one and save a little money, unless one is lazy ofcoarse ;) just mark the filters: 1. Red. 2. Green etc etc! I hope you will enjoy your ASI as much as we do here, clear skies!

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered the monochrome version. I guess it's optimal for guiding and should I get bored with s/w images, i'll go shopping for a filter wheel.

Or have your Philips camera contribute the color...

Archived