NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First binoculars &/or telescope for a 10 year old

Thank you again for all of your suggestions. I'm blown away by the helpfulness and I am very grateful for you all steering me in the right direction. 

On balance I think I'm going to get binoculars which will be for my daughter, either Helios Naturesport plus 8x40 or 10x50 or the Opticron Imagic TGA WP 8x42, and a telescope but rather than buy a small starter scope for her I may take the plunge and go for the larger Skywatcher 150P (6") or 200P (8") for me instead! We can then observe and learn together as it isn't as much fun on your own I'd imagine.

Both the Skywatchers get excellent reviews and I'm sure either would be excellent.

Thank you again for all of your advice.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you again for all of your suggestions. I'm blown away by the helpfulness and I am very grateful for you all steering me in the right direction. 

On balance I think I'm going to get binoculars which will be for my daughter, either Helios Naturesport plus 8x40 or 10x50 or the Opticron Imagic TGA WP 8x42, and a telescope but rather than buy a small starter scope for her I may take the plunge and go for the larger Skywatcher 150P (6") or 200P (8") for me instead! We can then observe and learn together as it isn't as much fun on your own I'd imagine.

Both the Skywatchers get excellent reviews and I'm sure either would be excellent.

Thank you again for all of your advice.

I've had fun looking around with my bins before. Sure I then went in and told everyone else to come out the back garden but still.

Good choice Richard, at least you'll have the bins to look through whilst she is hogging the 'scope :D

I'd seriously suggest seeing if there's a local astro group too. They'll be a mine of information and should be able to help out when you have to do the dreaded collimation for the first time. I can vouch for the 200P, it really is a very good scope :)

Archived