Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PHD2 Guiding Issues

gnomus

Thanks to everyone who pitched in on this one. I seem to have sorted the issues that I had. Firstly, I adjusted my camera settings so that I got a star with a much higher SNR. Then I calibrated at Dec 0. Having done this, I ran the Guiding Assistant and used the recommended settings it gave me. The Guiding Assistant also told me that my polar alignment was out by >9 arcminutes (and I thought I had nailed it). I used PHD's Drift Alignment tool and improved things to better than 2 arcminutes (altitude was really awkward to get right on my CGEM, for some reason).

I then recalibrated and re-ran the Guiding Assistant, once again accepting the suggestions it recommended. It told me that I had a lot of backlash and should guide in only one direction - South as it turned out.

All of this gave me a guiding trace that generally stayed within the +/- 2" boundaries, which is, I guess, as good as my mount is going to allow.

Thanks again.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived