NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Twin USB Windows tablet for camera control?

michaelmorris

I'm presently looking at the possibility of getting a cheap Windows tablet for running BackyardEOS or APT to control the DSLR and lens on my portable imaging rig (Astrotrac + DSLR + camera lens).  Whilst I can pick one up for as little as £79, all these cheap Windows tablets seem to have just a single microUSB port for both charging and camera control. 

Ideally I'm after a tablet with twin USB ports, so that I can use one for charging and the other for camera control simultaneously. This way I can run the tablet off a leisure battery all night without worrying about it's battery running out.  Unfortunately the only CHEAP twin USB port Windows tablet I can find so far is the Winbook TW700.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windows-Tablet-7-WinBook-TW700-Quad-Core-Win-8-1-or-10-Read-My-Reviews-/131518297844

My issue is that I'll have to ship it from the US and I suspect I'll end up getting stung for VAT and import duty and VAT collection charge.  Combined, these could nearly double the price.  I'm also concerned that getting anything fixed should it malfunction could be prohibitively expensive.  Does anyone know of any UK sites I can buy a CHEAP twin USB Windows tablet from?

Thanks

Some of the tablets have a separate charging port rather than using one of the USB ports... There might be more info in the other thread about which ones...

Reading through the other thread the Linx 10 has a separate (5V) charging port...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191571580398?hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&device=c&chn=ps&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

If I was buying again I would go for something bigger than the 7" but it does work fine - battery life has been around 4 hours with the display on all the time , using an OTG hub  to connect wireless keyboard/trackpad and running a camera

Some of the tablets have a separate charging port rather than using one of the USB ports... There might be more info in the other thread about which ones...

Reading through the other thread the Linx 10 has a separate (5V) charging port...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191571580398?hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&device=c&chn=ps&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

If I was buying again I would go for something bigger than the 7" but it does work fine - battery life has been around 4 hours with the display on all the time , using an OTG hub  to connect wireless keyboard/trackpad and running a camera

The appeal of the 'twin USB' option is that I could power the tablet from 230v mains,12v or even a USB battery charger, giving me a more flexible system.

Archived