Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

iOptron Skytracker - Counterbalance needed?

redarmy27

Good afternoon gents!

I'm settling down with the Nikon D750 I got for my birthday and went out to my dark sky spot to take some pictures. I got some great ones with the camera and a 105mm lens on my iOptron skytracker. I had great alignment, that is until I swapped the 105mm out for the 200mm. I noticed I had some trailing going on even though my alignment was good.

I was able to use the 200mm and my other camera (same body basically and not that much lighter) to get great shots of Orion last winter. I'm under the 7 lb threshold; could it be balance? How could I overcome this without dishing out a ton of money?

Thanks!

Jake

Did you redo the polar alignment Jake? Forgetting this is probably one of the most common causes of star trailing after a change of gear and weight. Of course the whole rig will need re-balancing too. Hth :)

I thought I did, but I'll triple check it next time.  The only problem about using the bigger lenses and such is that it gets in the way of the polar scope.  I'll monkey with it!  I'll been on quite the buzz since I got Pixinsight with my new camera!!  I actually can't wait for fall and winter now.

Jake

Archived