Lodestar Live Output Filter

RobertI

Can someone explain what the 'Output Filter' does on the 'stacking' tab of Lodestar Live? Currently has the values:

None

Low Pass 3x3

Low Pass 5x5

Median 3x3

Median 5x5

Can't find out much about it. Has anyone used it?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob

My understanding is that it applies an operator to each pixel in the image to carry out the specific function. So median 3x3 would replace each pixel with the median of its immediate neighbours; median 5x5 would replace by the median value in a wider 5x5 neighbourhood; the low pass cases I imagine would do something similar except rather than the median would apply some kind of smoothing using the values in the neighbourhood e.g. taking the mean, but it could also be a weighted mean, with values closer to the pixel having a stronger weighting. I'm sure Paul can supply the details, but it is something like that! Having said that, this is the one option I never use as much of the time I don't see any benefit (just a slightly more blurred image).

cheers

Martin

Martin has it spot on - the selected filter is applied to the latest live stack (after stacking). You can turn it on / off (i.e. it doesn't overwrite the live stack).

I must admit I don't use it either - was thinking of binning it...

However, was going to add an invert filter to this bit - thats probably more useful...

Martin has it spot on - the selected filter is applied to the latest live stack (after stacking). You can turn it on / off (i.e. it doesn't overwrite the live stack).

However, was going to add an invert filter to this bit - thats probably more useful...

Yes please - image invert would be great!

Another vote for invert (who cares about dark adaptation anyway ;-)

Since it doesn't take up much space on the interface and is a placeholder for any future 'post-proc' type of operation, I wouldn't bin the existing ops. They may well turn out to be useful for the higher resolution cameras?

Martin

Archived