NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help for an idiot

Hi,

I am new to all of this so don’t be to harsh on my ignorance.

This may be the most stupid question ever. I have a raspberry pi and have installed lin guider on it. When they say GPIO support what do they mean? If they mean the GPIO pins on the Pi how do I map them? If not what do they mean?

Thanks in advance and sorry for a stupid question.

Martin.

I haven't used lin guider, but GPIO is normally refers to unused pins I assume this means they can be assigned as required (although maybe they have a reference and driver to use for it) . I think the main question however might be what camera are you connecting if its already supported or being connected via USB I would assume you don't need to worry about it.

Not a stupid question by the way and an interesting project I was not aware of :)

Definatly not a stupid question.  Just imagine this scenario...  linguider running the pi as an auto guider,  add some star charting software that can control the mount, a 10" screen all running off a 12v battery, then add some software that will control a focusser.

Next, add a little more software/hardware to capture the lights, darks, flats and bias frame.

Ok, running off into wild fantasy yet?  how about this.  have all the software running on the pi accessable via a wifi connection, and hey presto, you have can run your scope fully automated remotely!

First step, leads on to other ideas. 

For installing lin_guider here's an page that I think is useful

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=15723

I love the idea of being able to use it as a SkyFi

As for setting up the GPIO pins for to hook into your ST-4 port, I've not managed find any documentation.  There must be some info out there.

Archived