NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beautiful night, elusive Messier tracked down in bins

Walshie79

Best night since June tonight, totally clear and now no twilight at midnight. So long is it since the last clear night that Scorpius is now nearly gone by midnight, and Sagittarius sinking into the trees. Too late to point the bins at M22 or M20 then, but M11 was still nicely placed and impressive as always. M26 there too, mustnt forget that one. Up into the Summer Triangle for M71, M27 and Albireo, but my eyes were drawn to the south. It was clear right down to the horizon, so a shame not to go looking down there. Capricornus was starting to appear, but M75 was a little too close to the annoying streetlight in the east. In the bit due south where I have a good, dark view was that void between the back of the teapot and the front of Capricornus.

But I know there's something down there. M55. I've never even tried, it's low, faint and looks really hard to find. But checked the star charts because tonight seemed as good a chance as I would get. I found the guide stars I'd earmarked easy enough, an asterism looking vaguely like the back half of Leo and a right angled triangle east of it. With those located I started looking. After a few minutes something popped out with averted vision. Then disappeared. Then I looked again, and saw the 2 very faint stars directly above where M55 is. With those centred I could see a faint glow at the bottom of the field. Kept leaving, going back, it was there but only with averted vision. A very elusive beast, pretty much a cross between M4 and M79- large like the first, faint like the second, lower than either. I kept looking for about 10 minutes just to really check and once or twice held it directly, but it was hard. But I got it, that's another one ticked off that I had thought beyond possible.

Then saw the northern Autumn stars and just had to peek at M31, to prepare for the coming season. And a few Perseids too. Great night!

Archived