Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Impressed with solar observing glasses

jonathan

So, after a very long wait for my Baader solar observing glasses to arrive I finally received them this week, and today the sun came out!  The large sunspot area in the lower left is visible as an indeterminate small blob, a bit like trying to see a faint galaxy or details on Jupiter, but it's definitely visible which is a thrill for me - being able to look at the sun with my own eyes and see some detail on it. 

Not going to be doing any serious solar observing with these, it's just one of those things that adds to the experience, possibly the ultimate in grab and go solar observing?  Now to look after them, maybe I will see about some hard glasses cases with ultra soft lining. :grin:

As well as observing sunspots, I noticed it's quite eerie when a tree branch or clouds get in the way of the sun, it creates a strange image similar to the full moon only without any surface detail.

Archived