NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

oaCapture will not start on Mac

keramos

Hi All,

I've just recieved ZWO , and was hoping to get it to work on my Mac.

I've downloaded oaCapture 0.6.0, it opened once and when I tried to open it again it wouldn't open. The application icon starts (bounces in the dock for a very long time) then remains static.

I've not even connected the camera as yet, thats the second problem. I dont know how to install the drivers.

Hoping James will be able to help :smiley:

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply, yup oaCapture now starts :smiley: . But does not detect the camera...any advice :sad: .

I'm assuming I'm good to copy the oaCapture to the Applications folder.

It should be fine installed there, yes.

So the camera doesn't show up on the devices menu?

James

Hi James,

Thanks for the link to the user manual, unfortunatley I was unable to connect the camera since my last post :huh: .

Tried the following:

1) Connecting camera and starting oaCapture, no luck

2) Starting oaCapture and then connected camera, no luck

3) Rescanned oacapture does not respond (tried both the configs stated earlier), gets stuck on the spinning beach ball of death. And I have to eventually force quit.

Let me know if you got any more suggestions.

Ok.  I've just connected my ASI174MM to an MBP running Yosemite and it looks like it works fine.

So, what hardware and OS are you using.  Perhaps I can test on something different.

Also, do you have a Windows machine that you have/are able to test it on?

James

That MacBook will only have USB2 ports, won't it?  I wonder if there's some sort of problem with the USB3 interface on the camera communicating with the USB2 interface on the MBP?

I have a Mac Mini of a similar vintage.  If I can get to it I'll give the camera a try on that to see what happens.

The only other thing I can think of that might be an issue and kind of related to the USB compatibility is that perhaps the cable is causing problems on the Mac.  That is a wild guess though.

James

Yup just two USB 2.0 ports, I think you might be right about the ports. The windows machine has USB 3 and has no issue's.

And to be honest the camera worked with oaCapture for a brief moment, may be it overloaded the port or like you mentioned just communication issue between USB 2 and USB 3.

If you have any ideas do let me know, i'm more than happy to try out.

Hi James,

An update to the camera connection issue, it definately is the USB port/ communication. I did a SMC reset and the camera connected to oaCapture and this time also recognised the internal webcam.

On restart I lost it all again! Now I've borrowed a powered USB hub, I'll try that out and provide feedback.

Archived