Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade DS2090 Slew speed problem

Hi Guys, 

Been a long time since ive posted here!

I'll cut to the chase. Ive recently tried to use my old Meade DS2090 and while playing i noticed that the slew speed cant be changed when moving sideways. Works fine when changing the speed for up and down movements. (Cant remember which is which with Alt / AZ haha).

I.e. When selecting slew speed... 5  (medium speed). It works fine and slows the 'up and down' movement as expected. However moving sideways still slews at max speed! No idea whats going on! 

Ive owned a few different Meade mounts now and know how to use autostar pretty well. Never had this issue before though.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chris 

Are you using the correct handset on the mount?
I just see your sig mentions ETX and LX as well.

Somewhere in the data are the gear ratios  and I was wondering that if you have the wrong one plugged in then the ratios may be incorrect and so slew rate is messed up.

After that it is the classic Reset and see if the problem remains afterwards.

Speed is however (as best I know) applied to both Alt and Az.

Hi Ronin,

Yes mate defo the right handset! My sig is old i sold both they scopes a while ago. 

Ive never performed a classic reset before. Will have a look and give it a try!

And yep the slew speed is a global setting from 1-9 thats applied to both alt and az. 

Cheers

Chris

I know it is global from having 3 Meades myself, but never had the problem you describe. Have had several others however.

Reset is no problem just you have to tell it everything again, including what it is in the way of a scope - I see it uses the #494, if the problem is the actual #494 you may be able to get another from Astroboot, they apper there at times usually £25. Main thought there is my #494's do not I think list the DS 2090 as an option but they are older. If that is the case then find and get the Alt and Az gear ratio's from your present handset as you may need to set the values in whatever replacement.

It will lose any drive training you have done which is I think the worst bit that goes.

If you reset and it persists then I guess the fault is on the drive boards and getting and fixing them will be more of a problem, and unfortunately may not worth the expense. No-one seems to act a scope breakers here where you can get used spares from.

Archived