Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Auto-guider?

Peje

Here's some questions I have about stand alone auto-guiders.

Can you image the moon or planets with it?

Does it control with ASCOM without it's own HC?

Will it feed images to plate solving software?

If any of the above answers is no, then IMO you are spending a ton of money that's no better than a QHY5L-II mono as a guider and painting yourself in a corner as well.

I haven't bothered to compare pixel size or sensitivity.

I was literally about to order the lacerta when I re-read this topic, must have missed this post before. That is an extremely good point, there is software to do much more than guiding and it all uses the feed from the guide camera. I had completely forgotten about that...back to the drawing board.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Need some help folks, got my ST80 today and having some trouble mounting it on the 14" dovetail. When I mount the tube rings one clashes with the screws on the rear of the scope (photo attached)

I realise I could just drill another hole in it but I paid 50 quid for it and don't really thinking I should be drilling it as it was spec'd by the supplier specifically for this scope.

Any advice? I have contacted the supplier and they are going to look into it

dd2fb66d3f0e93b4c447da674fd0d3af.jpg

Need some help folks, got my ST80 today and having some trouble mounting it on the 14" dovetail. When I mount the tube rings one clashes with the screws on the rear of the scope (photo attached)

I realise I could just drill another hole in it but I paid 50 quid for it and don't really thinking I should be drilling it as it was spec'd by the supplier specifically for this scope.

Any advice? I have contacted the supplier and they are going to look into it

dd2fb66d3f0e93b4c447da674fd0d3af.jpg

If you want to get into AP you'd better get used to drilling holes in things!!! This is so true that one of my (most marvellous!) guests gave me a big pillar drill he no longer needed...

In this game you're on your own, trust me. Drill, grind, weld... and then take a pic.

Olly

If you want to get into AP you'd better get used to drilling holes in things!!! This is so true that one of my (most marvellous!) guests gave me a big pillar drill he no longer needed...

In this game you're on your own, trust me. Drill, grind, weld... and then take a pic.

Olly

Well being a mech Engineer I am well suited to the work, my main gripe is paying 50 quid for a bit of aluminium that I have to modify. I could have just made it from scratch had I been bothered, two kids under 2 means my time for making is virtually non existent :(

Archived