NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polar Webcam Conundrum

Due to certain problems I cannot get underneath my EQ5 mount to look through the polarscope for alignment purposes. So, I have purchased a polarcam to do this for me and allow me to polaralign on my laptop. You may think I am a bit simple but I have sat for 2 days now trying to work this one out, so here goes. If I attach my camera over the polarscope and start up sharpcap and select the camera I have a lovely view of the inside of my polarscope, ursa major, cassiopea the circle with the cross and the little circle to put polaris in. Everything looks fine and dandy. I then use polarfinder to get the hour angle so I can position the little circle were it should be by turning the RA of my mount, now here is the problem. When I turn the mount the image in sharpcap does not turn to allow me to position the little circle were it should be. If I look down the end of the polarscope hole the image there is turning. The camera also turns with the polarscope as I turn the RA axis but the picture on the screen just stays still. If I remove the camera and hold it just off the polarscope then the image on the laptop does indeed turn to allow me to position the little circle were it should be. If I have missed something here that is so blindingly obvious then I apologise now, but for the life of me I cannot understand why the image on the screen does'nt turn when the camera is attached to the polarscope....Thanks in advance...Geoff

the camera turns with the polarscope so in sharpcap the image of the inside doesn't change, however the outside should change relative to the camera orientation. I can see two options...

1. Rig the camera so it is fixed to the mount and so doesn't move with the polarscope - tricky and would probably mean the camera would need to be connected disconnected every time.
  2. Orient the camera so you know where the circle is in respect to the camera orientation, use polar finder and imagine a circle in the correct place.  Then place Polaris in the correct place without rotating the polarscope.  This is what I do, although I don't have a camera I use polar finder to get an angle and ignore the small setting circle. just placing polaris in the correct place around the larger circle.

Cheers

Ross

Archived