NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1.25" Diagonal for Skymax 127 SupaTrak?

I have a 200mm skywatcher newt which is a bit to big to take away in the car with its EQ5 mount so as recommended by many of you I orderd a Skymax 127 with SupaTrak as a portable secondary scope. I was told the diagnal that comes with this is poor and not to strong especially to support a hyperion 24mm. I was given suggestions before but have lost the post, can you please suggest which 1.25 Diaganol would be good for me around the 50 quid mark. Please supply links...Thanks Ken.

In connection with another post elesewhere - be very careful which type of diagonal you go for. If you are using Hyperion EPs they are very wide (49mm) at the base and sit on the locking screws (these are big and set high up) of a standard Skywatcher diagonal. If you upgrading compare the pictures on the FLO website of the Celestron (the Skywatcher looks exactly the same) and the Williams Optics diagonals and you will see the latter have smaller and lower set locking screws.

Scotastro

I take you have never used a hyperion?

Ken

I take you have never used a hyperion?

Ken

No, I haven't, but I do own eyepiece/Barlow combinations that are within a half-ounce of the weight of the mighty Hyperion. I wouldn't hesitate to put that into any diagonal that wasn't made of plastic and held together with glue. If you put in a 2" diagonal, if your scope will accept it, you should solve both the weight question and the vignetting issue.

I have hung a film SLR off my cheap 2" diagonal. That's about 3 times the weight of a Hyperion.

Archived