Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anybody there with a Canon 750D or 760D?

pixueto

• 2 months later...

This thread comes up if you search for astrophoto reviews of the 750D, so we are still left wondering whether the new sensors are significantly better than the old 18MP one. BTW if you want to use the free EOS Camera Movie record for planetary video with the 750D/760D I maintain executables that use the latest Canon SDK which works with these cameras.

Hi. Just bought one 760d. Waiting for the T2-canon adapter to use it on my Nexstar 130 SLT.

Did some nightsky yesterday with EF 50 mm STM, 20 sec with f2.8 : just amazing shoots. So much detail.

This compared to my brothers old 600d with some "extra stars" in it.( cant clean out all 20+ hot/dead pixels)

760 is just an amazing camera to me.

I will post some pics later, now im just a beginner in astrophoto.

• 6 months later...

I don't have one but there are some testing results here:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/Sensor_Characteristics.htm#Canon%20EOS%20750D_14,Canon%20EOS%20760D_14,Canon%20EOS%20600D_14,Canon%20EOS%207D%20Mark%20II_14

My guess is that the 750D and 760D are incremental improvements on the 600D - slightly higher QE (Quantum Efficiency) and slightly lower read noise.  The 760D appears to be particularly good for low read noise. What is missing is any indication of dark current (i.e. thermal noise) under typical astroimaging conditions. Canons typically have much higher thermal noise than cameras using Sony Exmor sensors and thermal noise is often a limiting factor in DSLR astro-imaging.  The one exceptional Canon is the Canon 7D Mk2 which apparently has thermal noise down at Sony Exmor levels and a very high QE.  See the dark current table chart here:

http://www.clarkvision.com/reviews/evaluation-canon-7dii/

Mark

Archived