Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQDirect ripoff or am I missing something ?

Vox45

I had another thread on this but I was not clear enough I think...

As I already have the USB-RS232 adapter (I use the handset PCdirect method with RJ11) can I just strip the usb connector and connect it to a CAT5 cable with a RJ45 connector ?

I would guess that I already have the FTDI FT232R chip inside ?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had another thread on this but I was not clear enough I think...

As I already have the USB-RS232 adapter (I use the handset PCdirect method with RJ11) can I just strip the usb connector and connect it to a CAT5 cable with a RJ45 connector ?

I would guess that I already have the FTDI FT232R chip inside ?

It may have the Prolific chipset inside... not the same as FTDI and uses different drivers.

In any case, you would still need the USB connector to connect to your PC... the RJ45 would connect to the RS232 side of the adaptor.

You would need to be sure which wire was which and also the voltage levels from the RS232 side.

RJ45 EQDIR pins: -

1 = gnd

2 = n/c

3 = n/c

4 = gnd

5 = txd

6 = rxd

7 = 12v

8 = 12v

Hope this helps.

Sandy. :grin:

EDIT.

You could check the pinout by using a multimeter on your RJ-11 handset cable... which would normally attach to the USB-RS232 adaptor.

The RJ-11 pinout is: -

1 = n/c

2 = rxd

3 = gnd

4 = n/c

5 = txd

6 = n/c

Just check which wire on the RJ=11 connects to which pin on the RS232 end... then wire the RJ45 to suit.

You can probably ignore the 12v connections on the RJ45 in this application... the converter gets it's power from the USB side on your adaptor and the mount gets it's supply from a separate source.

And better buy a good one :)

Not exactly the same thing but this plainly show how one can get into a lot of trouble using cheap clones ! I have to agree with previous posters that at some point, you'd better pay the extra 10£ and get a field tested/user approved cable.

So, Hitech Astro, please accept my apologies for the word 'ripoff' ;)

That being said ... I will still make my own cable and, with the leftover money, treat my wife to a night out :)

Archived