reordering of eyepiece lenses?

urchin

Hi all.

While I was using my vixen 6mm slv eyepiece to view the sun the other day. I removed it from the focuser and the chrome 1 1/4" barrel wad loose.

Now me being me and my inquisitive nature I unscrewed it further and it came apart from the rest of the eyepiece, no lenses followed it all still secure. There was however a lens screwed into the 1 1/4" barrel. I unscrewed this, it is a small lens or two in a black holder.

I left this unit to one side and put the now empty barrel back on the eyepiece, then proceeded to use the eyepiece as normal.

Although the focus point had moved outwards the view was much the same as my 25mm eyepiece. Not been able to test the view at night as at 56 N it doesn't really get properly dark at this time of year.

I'm just wondering if this is something that should/shouldn't be done and if it will cause any complications (the eyepiece is back together now as nature intended)

Thanks for reading.

Hi Urchin, it is something I would certainly not try, and there is always the possibilty that you will upset the whole works and not be able to use the eyepiece.  It soulds like the barrel had a negative lens which would impact on the effective distance of eye relief, as well as magnification, which is probably why the focus point was significantly altered. 

No, decent stargazing has finished for the summer break really, I agree.

As Robin says, all the lenses that are present need to be there to make it work properly. The lenses in the barrel are used to give it the correct focal length, reduce distortions and give a comfortable eye relief. Many eyepiece designs use them and they are integral to the optical design.

Archived