Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is there much difference between Canon 1200D and 700D for astrophotography?

I've got to get a DSLR dedicated to Astrophotography, since the rest of the family is complaining too much that they don't get enough time to use the Nikon D3200. Since Canon, I was thinking on picking a EOS 1200D or 700D, I had a 600D, but the difference in price is quite significative, specially given the 60% taxes for itens over USD$500 brought outside Brazil. Since I can get the 1200D without the import fee but would pay 60% over in taxes for the 700D, would the difference in performance be worth this amount of money?

Also since this camera would be used for astrophotography only I can have it modded sometime later this year.

I already have a Meade LX80 SCT, an Astrotech 72mm ED Refractor and 60mm guide scope and a QHY5-II autoguider.

I think there is a site I have seen listed which looks at the sensor noise detail of Canon cameras so you could make a more informed decision.

Do you need the articulated screen of the 700d? I think crudely that is a big difference between the two but if you are going to connect it to a laptop or tablet it wont matter so much.

I think there is a site I have seen listed which looks at the sensor noise detail of Canon cameras so you could make a more informed decision.

Do you need the articulated screen of the 700d? I think crudely that is a big difference between the two but if you are going to connect it to a laptop or tablet it wont matter so much.

I plan to use them with a computer, so if I can get the live view from the computer (which I can) I don't see any reason to do it on the camera LCD. The sensor of both camera are exactly the same, but the processor are different 700D have the Digic 5 and 1200D the Digic 4. I don't know if the difference in the processor would affect the noise, but since they use the same sensor the basic sensor noise should be same on both cameras. 1200D is basically a downgraded version of the 700D, but how much it would influence astrophotography I don't know.

Archived